My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

I'm forgetful. I'm old. I have a phobia about having my hair cut. I'm just plain weird. Better than being weird weird.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010




Today after spending way too much time visiting one of Harris County Hospital District's clinics, I found myself downtown. One of my favorite places. I'm not sure why, but I have always loved it. I love the look of the buildings towering above me. The skywalks and all that goes on below ground that we don't even see.

Yes, I'm a secretly in love with "the tunnel".

It's not just one tunnel, but a whole city of tunnels below the buildings and streets of downtown Houston. Many people don't care for them. They say they are bland and boring. But I say they are like a hive, especially during lunch when the workers are scurrying about from one food court to Macy's or the beauty shop or just for a quick drop in at a convenience store. There are lots of things below ground.

The tunnel is only open on weekdays, probably from about 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM, but I'm not sure about that. I usually find myself there midday. There have been many times when I would like to use them on the weekend, but it is not to be.

I love the tunnel because when it is 100° with 200% humidity, nothing can feel better than a nice air conditioned tunnel. And I can sit down and have an iced tea or even a beer. What's not to like about that?

I can walk from the library to the Houston Center Mall and never see daylight. Not only nice in summer but winter too. Not to mention those pouring rains we seem to get at least once a week.

Someday I'll remember to take my camera and try to get some pictures (although I hear they don't like that). When I drove everywhere I always had my camera with me but now, I never seem to have it with me. I must do better with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home