My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

I'm forgetful. I'm old. I have a phobia about having my hair cut. I'm just plain weird. Better than being weird weird.

Thursday, June 10, 2010





Pecan Pie!

I love it so much.

I had never eaten even a bite of pecan pie prior to Thanksgiving 2008. I've always loved pecans though and pies were always around in our house as I was growing up. But not really pecan -- despite the fact that we had a huge pecan orchard -- we always had chocolate cream, lemon meringue, or magic lemon or even coconut.

At Thanksgiving and Christmas we would always have a pecan pie on the table but I was never really interested. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just took pecans and pie for granted? Dunno.

But I am making up for lost time.

Yesterday someone from a nice bakery (don't know which one) delivered dozens of pecan pies, baguettes, petite fours, Madeleine cookies, chocolate eclairs and much, much more to our apartment building. Not sure why, but it was a lovely surprise.

And since yesterday afternoon, I have consumed an entire pecan pie. It was really, really tasty. The crust was buttery and flaky. The gelled concoction inside the pie was just oh so gooey, sticky good! And the pecans -- to die for! Thank you nice bakery.

What the world needs -- more pie! Such a wonderful little treasure, that we almost never see anyone make from scratch any longer. The crust comes from the freezer case and the insides are whipped up with Cool Whip and canned fruit or Jell-o pudding. Crust by Graham -- cracker, that is!

I love to cook but I have never made a pie crust in my life. Currently, I do not have the counter space to do that, but even when I did, I never tackled the job. And I have made some pretty complicated things -- Buche Noel! Complete with meringue mushrooms and marzipan leaves. That was complicated and messy but not scary. Making a pie scares the bejabbers out of me!




Can you even still buy rolling pins?

Probably. But I bet they don't sell many of them. Only thing they would be good for in my house is as a weapon.

Turn this


















into this


















I don't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home