My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

I'm forgetful. I'm old. I have a phobia about having my hair cut. I'm just plain weird. Better than being weird weird.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

It's been a while since I typed something here. Sorry.

I've been busy getting back to work after the vacation and busy watching the live feeds of Big Brother 6. I'm addicted to the live feeds -- that's where the real action is at. It certainly isn't in the shows they put on TV. But enough about that. I'll let you know more as the show progresses.

Today I had a really bad experience during my dinner break. Of late, I have been going home for lunch because 1) I can and 2) it's cheaper. Usually on payday, I will treat myself to a nice dinner at the mall. I don't typically go to the food court, but to one of the many restaurants at the Houston Galleria.

I really like The Daily Grill. It's a great place people watch and it's dark atmosphere is a terrific place to unwind. Not to mention that I enjoy having people wait on me. Oh, and they have really good food.

But the service is abominable. Well, there is one very professional waiter/bartender. I think his name is Brian or Ryan -- I honestly don't know. He is most courteous and attentive. He recognizes me when I come in and always brings me my regular beverages (an iced tea and a glass of water) right away. Unfortunately, for me, he doesn't work everyday and he doesn't work during dinner.

The dinner staff sucks.

Now, this is a bar/restaurant combination and I like to sit in the bar because it is less formal, has a couple of TVs, and affords the best opportunity to people watch -- one of my favorite pasttimes.

But I get the distinct impression that the bartenders couldn't care less about the customers who eat and who don't drink. I know drinking is more expensive, but if they don't want to wait on the diners, then food shouldn't be served in the bar!

It's not that I'm not a good tipper because even if the service is lousy, I will leave at least 15%. It's not that I'm a fussy customer because I'm not. I come in, I'm polite, I wait for them to bring the menu and I order without substitutions or changes to the menu items. I've never complained about the food, the prices, or even the service. I always say, "Please" and "Thank You."

So, it must be that the waitstaff just doesn't care for the eaters. Today was a perfect example.

I arrive and see my favorite waiter, who should not be there during my dinner break. He greets me with a smile but I see tiredness in his eyes. He brings my drinks over and explains that he is just about to leave because he stayed and extra 3 hours today because they have been very busy.

I thank him and he tells me that the guys will take good care of me. I'm skeptical of that because I've had these two bartenders/waiters before. They are inattentive on a good day and just ignore you on their bad days. Considering the place has been busy, I think this will probably be a bad day. I should have gone some place else right there and the thought did occur to me, but I stuck it out.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait too long for them to bring the menu, but I really don't need that as I have been there before and I'm dying to try this new $3.95 Happy Hour Appetizer deal the Grill is offering. This is my third attempt to try for this deal and I've only been successful once. I inquire about the grilled chicken pizza? The bartender/waiter looks dumbfounded. I think I hear gear grinding coming from his head. AHA! The Happy Hour menu. "Let me check," he says, and takes off in the direction of the kitchen. He comes back to report that the chef already put it in the oven and it will be about 20 minutes. Cool, I think to myself. "Fine, thank you," I say as the bartender/waiter scurries off. I'm left to people watch and peruse USA Today.

About 45 minutes later, I see my bartender/waiter approach a man I now know is the new General Manager of the restaurant. They whisper and they both glance in my direction -- the most action I've had since I placed my order. The GM high tails it in the direction of the kitchen and returns looking grim and again huddles with the bartender/waiter. More furtive glances in my direction and I'm not having a good feeling about this.

The GM approaches and I say, "I don't think I'm going to like what you are going to say."

"No, no, I'm sorry but there was a mix-up."

"And you are just now -- 45 minutes after I order -- realizing this?"

I go on a rant and make a scene. I tell the GM all of my frustrations about this restaurants. The lousy service. The inattentiveness of the waitstaff. Yadda, yadda, yadda. He's all "But..." and I just cut him off and say that no one even had the decency to even look at me for 45 minutes. I tell him of the good experience with Brian/Ryan and then the GM says, "Well, it's Bryan/Ryan that caused all of this."

"What?" I demand. That's not possible. He had nothing to do with this. He brought me drinks and said those guys -- those liars -- over there would take care of me. That guy right there took my order and told me it would be twenty mintues and he's a freaking liar if he tried to pin this on someone else. I am furious!

The GM is explaining that he is new and is cleaning house and wants to make me some food right now. I tell him I don't have time for food, I'm late as of two minutes ago. He says he'll have it sent to my store. "That's ridiculous," I rant. I can't have food on my sales floor." I wanted to add "you moron" to that, but I didn't.

Free meals are thrown at me but I'm being a martyr now. "I'll never set foot in this place again," I wail. I've taken enough crap from your employees. No thank you. I won't be back.

I wrote a long email to the CEO tonight and I hope it does some good. I want someone to acknowledge that the barstaff who is required to wait on the diners in the bar, really don't care to wait on the diners.

There's more, but I'm growing tired of typing.

I didn't need the meal anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home