My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

I'm forgetful. I'm old. I have a phobia about having my hair cut. I'm just plain weird. Better than being weird weird.

Friday, July 08, 2005

I always read the dining section of our local giveaway newspaper, The Houston Press. Rob Walsh writes the best restaurant reviews but they aren't just reviews, he educates you about food.

Back in January 2002, Rob wrote a review of place down in Kemah. Folks really go to Kemah to visit Tilman Fertitta's empire known as "The Kemah Boardwalk," and I did that, too. More on Tilman's empire a little later. But I wanted to go to Tookie's for "The Squealer."

It's only taken me 3-1/2 years to get there, but I'm so glad I finally got there.

I was really, really hungry today because I planned on going there to eat, but things just kept getting out of hand this morning and it was probably 2:00 P. M. before I got out the door and I still had errands to run. Sheesh! And I hadn't eaten. I think it was close to 5:00 P. M. before I arrived at Tookies, and I didn't even need to look at the menu to know I needed a squealer.

What's a squealer, you ask?

A squealer is a burger (smaller than I imagined) that is made with lean ground beef and ground hickory-smoked bacon. Ever since the Jack in Box brouhaha with folks getting sick after eating undercooked burgers, restaurants have been looking for ways to keep the patties juicy despite the fact that they must cook them well-done.

I think Tookies has hit upon a winner here and I can't wait to try this at home. I didn't really see any bacon in the burger, but the hickory-smoked flavor was certainly there. Yummy.

The burger was small but the patty was obviously hand-formed which made it all the more juicy. Too much handling of hamburger meat just makes is it tough and dry. I don't know why that is, but I have found that to be true.

And the onion rings were awesome, too. Not as good as the old Mayer's Drive-In Restaurant in La Grange, but they were homemade and nongreasy. I would have liked to have seen some big flecks of black pepper in the batter and then maybe they would have tasted better.

Since the burger was small and I had eaten all day, I decided to try the Champion, a burger marinated in wine, cheese, onions and spices. This burger was juicy and flavorful, but my heart remains with the Squealer.


More to come on Tilman Fertitta and The Kemah Boardwalk. Give me time to gather my thoughts. Thanks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home